This week in history: 24th March – 30th March

The actor Robert Carradine stood in a forest.

Image via: http://sfsketchfest.com/

This week’s TWIH post combines the births of some influential actors and actresses and the release of a first-of-its-kind film.

On the 24th of March in 1954, in Hollywood, the youngest of the Carradine brothers was born. Robert Carradine began his acting career in 1972 alongside John Wayne in the western classic The CowboysOne of his best known roles had him portraying Sam McGuire, the father in the Disney Channel’s Lizzie McGuire. Unknown to many, Robert Carradine also starred in 2012’s Django Unchained!

On the 26th of the same month, in 1985, Keira Knightley was born. She grew up in London, and her first role was a small part in 1993’s Royal Celebration. Since then, she has starred in a huge number of brilliant films, including Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999), Bend it like Beckham (2002), and Doctor Zhivago (2002). One of her most famous roles is that of Lady Elizabeth Swann, which began in 2003’s Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

The première of Shaun of the Dead was on the 29th of March, 2004. Simon Pegg, one of the leading actors in the film, said that the film was the first ever “rom-com-zom”, or romantic comedy featuring zombies. The film went on to make $30,039,392. Horror great George A. Romero was so impressed with Simon Pegg’s work towards this film that he offered him a cameo role in his 2005 zombie flick Land of the Dead!

About Josh Russell

A snapshot of me. A complete and unashamed Tarantino fanboy, maybe except for From Dusk Till Dawn, with a fervour for the horrific and the scientific. I rely on a balanced diet of film and novel to keep me entertained and I can’t help giving myself nightmares. The most memorable of these books was probably IT by Stephen King, along with its movie counterpart. When I’m not terrifying myself, I’m mostly playing video games and spending way too much money on guitars. The last film I watched was The Matrix, again. Can’t help myself. When I have a spare 10 minutes I usually find myself wasting my life away on Buzzfeed. Seriously, I can’t stop, it’s a problem. I’m also worryingly obsessed with the lyrical and musical genius of Phil Collins. Complete guilty pleasure right there.