What you didn’t know about the Oscar statuette.

The Oscar Statuette

Arguably, the most recognised award in the world, the Oscar statuette has stood on the mantels of the greatest filmmakers since 1929.

The Oscar Statuette, a gold man holding a sword set on top of a black base.

Oscar Statuette. Credit ©A.M.P.A.S.®

Official Name – Academy Award® of Merit

Height – 13½ inches

Weight – 8½ pounds

Number Presented – 2,809

Designer – Cedric Gibbons, Chief Art Director at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer

Manufacturing Time – 3-4 Weeks for 50 Statuettes

Fact

• Once presented with an Oscar, the recipient is encumbered by the requirement that they themselves or their heirs cannot sell the statue without first offering the Academy the option to buy it for US$1. If the recipient refuses this, the Academy keeps the statue.

So don’t expect to see Jennifer Lawrence’s statuette on ebay anytime soon.

• Director, screenwriter and actor, Emilio Fernandez posed nude to inspire the Oscar design.
  • The Academy theorises that the Oscar nickname derived from academy librarian, Margaret Herrick, who in the 1930s said that award looked like her uncle named Oscar.
  • Depending on the number of nominees and the maximum amount of Oscars that could be won, there are up to 50 statuettes created for each awards ceremony. Those that are left over at the end of the night are stored away in the Academy vault until next year’s ceremony,
  • The Oscar statuette stands on a film reel with five spokes, representing the original branches of The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences; Actors, directors, producers, technicians and writers.

Check out 12 Golden facts about Oscar Statuettes to tell your friends on Mashable.com

About Adam Burt

I love going to the cinema, I am always the first in line to see the latest release. I love drama, The Impossible is one of my favourite films although I am partial to action, comedies and thrillers. IMDB is the website which I visit most and I enjoy reading up on all the trivia behind the making of films. My favourite book is To Kill A Mockingbird and I also think that this is a great film. The last film that I watched was The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, I thought it was fantastic as Jennifer Lawrence is my favourite actor at the moment. In my spare time I love to catch up on my American TV shows particularly Homeland and Scandal.